Garlic contains many sulfur compounds, vitamins A and C, and various amino acids. Garlic also contains a wide range of trace minerals. These include copper, iron, zinc, magnesium , germanium, and selenium. The most active components of fresh garlic are an amino acid called alliin and an enzyme called allinase.
Garlic Is Highly Nutritious
Garlic is low in calories and rich in vitamin C, vitamin B6 and manganese. It also contains trace amounts of various other nutrients.
Garlic Contains Antioxidants
Garlic contains antioxidants that support the body's protective mechanisms. Garlic protects the skin from the effect of free radicals.
- How much garlic supplement should you take a day?Answer: Dosages generally recommended in the literature for adults are 4 g (one to two cloves) of raw garlic per day, one 300-mg dried garlic powder tablet (standardized to 1.3 percent alliin or 0.6 percent allicin yield) two to three times per day, or 7.2 g of aged garlic extract per day.
- Is garlic a strong antibiotic?Answer: Garlic has long been thought to have antimicrobial properties. The garlic concentrate is effective against bacteria. You can purchase garlic concentrate or extract at your local health food store. If you're taking blood-thinning medication, consult your doctor before using garlic as an antibiotic.
- Does garlic thin your blood? An antithrombotic agent is a substance that reduces blood clot formation. Garlic suggests that it may thin the blood, although the effects are small and short-lived.
- Is too much garlic bad?Answer: Garlic's health benefits are plenty, but don't add too much to your diet too quickly. Overdoing it can cause discomfort, including upset stomach, bloating, diarrhea, bad breath and body odor. You may also get a stinging feeling on the skin if you handle significant amounts of fresh and dried garlic.
- Health benefits of raw garlic Answer: Garlic will help not only to eliminate bad bacteria, yeast, and parasites, but also to regulate blood sugar levels, enhance fat burning, reduce hunger sensations, lower cholesterol, relieve arthritic pain, and reduce bowel gas.