Health Benefits of Multivitamins
Multivitamins supplements are the most commonly used supplements worldwide and their popularity has increased rapidly in the past few decades. Some believe that multivitamins can improve health, compensate for poor eating habits, and even reduce your risk of chronic diseases. Anyway, you may wonder if these supposed benefits are true. Vitamins are the main building blocks of the body and help keep you in good health.
Photo credit: Google images
Table of contents
- What are multivitamins?
- What do multivitamins contain?
- Reasons to take a multivitamin
- Proven benefits of Multivitamins
- Supplements and dosage of Multivitamins
- Side effects Multivitamins
What are multivitamins?
Multivitamins supplements contain many different vitamins and minerals which are important for growth and development. while there’s no standard for what constitutes a multivitamin, their nutrient composition varies by brand and product. Multivitamins are also known with many names like multimineral, multis, multiples, or simply vitamins. Which are available in many forms, including tablets, capsules, chewable gummies, powders, and liquids. Multivitamins supplements should be taken once or twice a day. Ensure that you read the label and follow the recommended dosage instructions. They are available in pharmacies, large discount stores, and supermarkets, as well as online. This medication is used to treat or prevent vitamin deficiency due to poor diet, certain illnesses, or during pregnancy.
What do multivitamins contain?
Your body requires thirteen vitamins and at least 16 minerals for a healthy life. Many of them helps in enzyme reactions in your body or function as signaling molecules or structural elements. As your body needs these nutrients for reproduction, maintenance, growth, and regulation of bodily processes. Multivitamins may provide many of these vitamins and minerals but in varying forms and amounts. Multivitamin supplements may also contain other ingredients like herbs, amino acids, and fatty acids. Multivitamins may contain higher or lower levels of some nutrients than the label states, as dietary supplements are not regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). In certain cases, they may not even provide all of the listed nutrients. Make sure that the nutrients in multivitamins may be derived from real foods or created synthetically in laboratories.
Reasons to Take a Multivitamin
- Healthy aging: As we age, our nutritional needs increase. At the same time, it gets harder for the body to absorb nutrients. Medications can further deplete our body of nutrients. A multivitamin can offset these deficiencies.
- Good for your heart: Studies show that taking a high-quality multivitamin may reduce cardiovascular disease, as this is leading cause of death in both men and women in the U.S. Vitamins B1, B2, B6, K1, Niacin (B3), CoQ10 and magnesium, all play a role in cardiovascular health.
- Boosts immunity: Vitamin C is a strong antioxidant known for strengthening the immune system. Vitamins D and E boost immunity, too. These vitamins can also help reduce allergy symptoms.
- Supports eye health: Vitamins A, C, E, Niacin (B3), and selenium support eye health, as well as Lutein and Zeaxanthin also protect the eyes from harmful light waves. Studies have shown multivitamins containing a combination of vitamins, lutein, and zeaxanthin can reduce the risk of macular degeneration.
- Water-soluble vitamins: Excess fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K) are stored in the body. Water-soluble vitamins (B and C) are not. Excess water-soluble vitamins simply travel through the body. This means it’s necessary to take these essential vitamins on a daily basis.
- Healthy hair and skin: New research say look for Vitamins B3 (Niacin), biotin, and Vitamin C for fuller hair. For healthy skin, look for Vitamins A, C, E, and CoQ10.
- Feel better: Taking a multivitamin is associated with a boost in energy levels, feelings of wellbeing, as well as a decrease in stress and anxiety. This makes it worth staying compliant with a multivitamin routine.
Benefits of taking multivitamins daily
- Increased energy levels
When your body doesn’t get enough vitamins, one has to work harder to perform simple tasks, which can lead to fatigue and other health problems. Consuming multivitamins and keeping a healthy lifestyle can keep you energetic and fit.
- Improved mood
Research has shown that daily multivitamin has positive effects on a person’s mood and emotional well-being. Acquiring enough vitamins and minerals improves the brain functions responsible for your mood.
- Reduces stress and anxiety
Taking multivitamin supplement daily can also significantly reduce levels of stress and anxiety. Your body uses B vitamins to convert food into energy, keep the nervous system functioning properly, and to produce stress hormones. As it can also replenish your body’s supply.
- Improved short-term memory
A study showed that B vitamins have a significant impact in supporting short-term memory function.
- Maintained muscle strength
Consuming multivitamins daily can help keep these damaging free radicals in check. Free radicals are usually responsible for muscle aging-related problems.
- Multivitamins and heart disease
Many believe that taking multivitamins can help prevent heart disease, but the evidence is mixed. As cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death worldwide.
Supplements and dosage of Multivitamins
Search for a multivitamin that is Natural, Allergen free, highly bioavailable (Easier for your body to absorb), Purity tested, Made without fillers, artificial colors, or additives. Different multivitamin formulations are available in a variety of formulas based on age and sex, or (as in prenatal vitamins) based on more specific nutritional needs. A multivitamin supplement for men may contain less iron, while a multivitamin for seniors might include extra vitamin D. Few formulas make a point of including extra antioxidants. Few nutrients, such as calcium and magnesium, are rarely included at 100% of the recommended allowance because the pill would become too large. There are many types of Multivitamins in the marketplace. As the Manufacturers choose which vitamins, minerals, and other ingredients, as well as their amounts, to include in their products. There are different formulation and dosage forms of Multivitamin and Minerals Tablets, Capsules, Softgels, liquids, and injectable formulations, etc. (Nature's Velvet Multivitamin and Minerals Tablets is one of the examples).
These supplements are basic, once-daily products containing all or most vitamins and minerals, with the majority in amounts that are close to recommended amounts. Multivitamin supplements most often come in packs of two or more pills to take each day with Higher-potency. They promote other multivitamin supplements for special purposes, such as better performance or energy, weight control, or improved immunity. These supplements usually contain herbal and other ingredients (such as echinacea and glucosamine) in addition to vitamins and minerals. The standard recommended amounts of nutrients people should get vary by age and gender and are known as Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDAs) and Adequate Intakes (AIs). The Daily Value (DV), for each nutrient, is selected for the labels of dietary supplements and foods. The label provides the %DV, one can see how much (what percentage) a serving of the product contributes to reaching the DV. Routine dose is one tablet once a day. Do not take your medicine regularly than directed.
Side effects Multivitamins
Multivitamins are not expected to cause serious side effects when they are taken as directed. Common side effects may include constipation, diarrhea; nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, upset stomach; black or dark-colored stools or urine; temporary staining of the teeth; headache; or unusual or unpleasant taste in your mouth. These side effects are usually temporary and may disappear as your body adjusts to this medication. If any of these effects persist or worsen, contact your doctor or pharmacist promptly. Many using this medication do not have serious side effects.
Multivitamins may also contain herbs, amino acids, and fatty acids in addition to vitamins and minerals though the amount and the number of nutrients can vary. Consuming multivitamins and keeping a healthy lifestyle can keep you energetic and fit. Studies have shown that daily multivitamin has positive effects on a person’s mood and emotional well-being; reduce levels of stress and anxiety. Several observational studies indicate that people who take multivitamins have a lower risk of heart disease, improve memory and mood. Consuming multivitamins can help prevent heart disease, but the evidence is mixed. Multivitamin supplements contain many different vitamins and minerals. They’re available in various forms.
Now don't worry about where to find the product. We did the survey for you and here are the details.
The contents of the Site, such as the text, images, graphics, etc. are for informational purposes only. The information provided is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice or treatment or diagnosis. We recommend that you consult a qualified medical practitioner with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or for implementing any of the information from the site.
- Rakesh Gupta